ROC EV Workplace Charging Challenge
The average driver spends over a quarter of his or her travel time commuting to and from work. ROC EV launched the Workplace Charging Challenge in Greater Rochester because we want to see more of that travel time spent in the seat of an electric vehicle (EV).
Data collected at ROC EV Ride and Drive events in 2017 showed 92% of participants would be more likely to purchase an EV if they had access to workplace charging. Installing workplace charging provides your company or organization with the opportunity to help facilitate the widespread transition to electric vehicles.
Ninety-seven percent of EV charging takes place at home or the office. By offering charging at work, employers play a critical role in encouraging and enabling drivers to drive electric—saving money, reducing pollution, and reducing our country’s dependence on oil.
Workplace Charging Has An Impact!
Previous findings by the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Workplace Charging Challenge partners demonstrate the importance of workplace charging:
- Employees with access to workplace charging are six times more likely than the average worker to drive an EV.
- One in 73 employees in a company with EV charging infrastructure drives an EV compared to the national average of 1 in more than 1,400.
- More than 90% of employees in the United States commute less than 35 miles, which means that Level 1 charging could adequately replenish the battery capacity used to travel to work. Having access to Level 1 charging at home and at work could meet the charging needs of over 92% of U.S. drivers’ workday travel.
In the City of Rochester alone, 50,143 kg of greenhouse gas emissions have been avoided by EV charging. That’s like planting 1,908 trees and letting them grow for 10 years!
How Can Workplace Charging Benefit Your Company?
Offering EV charging for employees can increase employee retention, help attract the best and brightest applicants, and place your business among the region’s most innovative employers, helping to create a positive brand name.
Employers do not need to have charging availability already installed to join the Workplace Charging Challenge.
Helpful Links and Documents:
Below, you can find a few documents that are helpful in learning about the benefits of workplace charging and how to join the initiative.
- ROC EV Workplace Charging Challenge Infographic (right)
- ROC EV Workplace Charging Full Pledge Form
- ROC EV Workplace Charging Worksheet
- Charging Station Best Practice Recommendations, CalStart
- ADA Accessibility Guidelines, U.S. Department of Energy
- Workplace Charging Employer Communication Toolkit, U.S. Department of Energy
- RFP Guidance, U.S. Department of Energy
- Plugging In At Work: How to Effectively Install, Share and Manage Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- Level 1 Charging at the Workplace
Join the Workplace Charging Challenge!
- Email: Info@RochesterEVs.com to sign up or for more information